Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Retro Parsley

I have been moved to write about a humble herb.
A herb that, in my opinion, has fallen out of favour.
Word on the street is that it's not as flavoursome as it's fancy cousin from Italy.
"Common" has been used to describe it.

So I feel compelled to stand up and shout
I've fallen in love again with curly leaf parsley!



Sure, I tried the flat leaf stuff ...
And for a few years I felt pretty cosmopolitan and
pretty darned sophisticated as I gayly added Continental parsley to my dishes,
like some European gourmet.

But that little affair is over.
I've moved on.
I wish it had never happened.

I'm back embracing those tight curly emerald leaves.
(Sorry I ever left you ...)
I love, love, love the sculptured effect of parsley growing in my garden.
It's crunchy
It's springy
It's fun
And it's sooooo 70s.

What's not to love?

Retro is back and so is curly leaf parsley.
Spread the word.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

White Dove said...

Don't know what's happened to my italian parsley this year.....two enormous bushes have taken over the herb patch, smothering the garlic chives, the rosemary and the basil.
We can't eat it quick enough and even though I cut great swathes through it every second day, there's no holding it. Perhaps the soft mounds of curly parsley will be more well behaved when I plant some next year xx

Melbourne Girl said...

Could not agree more!!!

Love the curly stuff, every time I get a whiff of it I'm transported back to my childhood when my Mum would make rabbit stew (yes I know) and the sauce would be fragrant with lots of chopped parsley.
That aroma/memory will stay with me forever.
Lesley