Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Kitchen treasure from another era

I always check out the books when I pop into my local op shop. More than anything, I'm hoping to find a treasure that someone has discarded as trash. I've built up quite a collection of recipe books from the 40s, 50s and 60s.
So, when I saw this little beauty I just had to have it.


And at the princely sum of
20 cents I couldn't pass up such a bargain.

A quick check of google told me this little book is nearly 60 years old (so 20 cents isn't bad inflation over that time!)

While I love reading the recipes, I adore the ads. I laughed out loud when I saw this one. I've had to split it in two to photograph it ....


Bottling fruit in the lounge? What a marvellous idea !

If you own a Fowlers vacola, you can do your bottling in the lounge, or indeed any room which has a power point. You're not tied to the kitchen. You relax, happy in the knowledge that your bottling is going on.

And don't you love the lady of the house relaxing in the lounge, with her book while her bottles full of lovely preserved fruit bubble away beside her.

Check out her high heels, lippy and perfect hair .... all ready to receive her hard working husband at the end of his busy day ...

Is it like that at your house ????

I DON'T THINK SO !!!!!

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Michelle said...

The old ad's are hilarious aren't they - so far from todays reality, thats for sure...!

White Dove said...

Mmmm....those were the days...my friend!

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

That's a real treat. My Fowlers doesn't plug in. Does that mean I need to move the stove into the lounge?

Lillabilly said...

Ha ha ha - these days if a husband actually expected his wife to look that perfect and "receive" him at the end of the day, he'd probably end up with bottles being thrown AT him! ;)