Monday, September 6, 2010

A Woman's Work ....

How lucky am I?
I had a feeling the op shop goddess was smiling down on me when I popped into my local oppy the other day. I came home with a load of treasure which I'll share with you over coming weeks.


Top of the pops .... these two glorious volumes on Home Management, dated 1964.

Now I love a routine as much as the next busy person. Without one, my life would go off the rails. I love lists and I love ticking them off ... and some days when I really need to achieve things, I cross the tasks off the list as well as tick them (I can't imagine what a psychologist would say about this behaviour ...)

But I haven't seen a list quite like this one, designed for a mother with a young baby ....


And this one for special weekly tasks to complement the daily work in the house ...


Thank goodness for Sundays when you are allowed to do the bare minimum!!


You've worked hard all week ... now just sit back and admire that sparkling linoleum in the kitchen! Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

nadine paduart said...

i love your post!
may i join you where the 40's are concerned... i am no kitchen goddess, by which i mean, i do LOVE cooking, but i don't make the surfaces sparkle...:)
enjoy those biggie books though, lovely to pour over them, i'm sure.
btw, that linoleum is heaven.

CurlyPops said...

That's hilarious!
Thank goodness we don't spend every day scrubbing the lino floors anymore.

Michelle said...

Aren't we lucky ducks that there's none of this craziness these days! I'd be SUCH a failure as a 1950's housewife, in fact I really only just scrape in as a 2000's one!

mel @ loved handmade said...

That is so gorgeous! My Mum was given a book similar called "A Womans World" which she has since passed on to me, I just love flicking through & having a little chuckle at some of the chapters..

zigsma said...

Oh I have these!! Love them - the colour plates are gorgeous, such a 50s aesthetic. The chapter titles are hilarious, yet so helpful. 'Housework For the Figure', 'Keeping a Domestic Goat', 'Arrangements for Funerals' and 'Building Your Own House'!!!! I can't find a date on mine though. Do yours have dust jackets?

White Dove said...

Exhausted....just reading the chores!